Twelve top Shiraz wines were crowned as victors, while three Shiraz blends also took top honors.
This year more than 200 wines were entered and a panel of eight judges, under the leadership of Dr Andy Roediger, laboured for three days to identify six finalists for the Shiraz blends category and 20 finalists for the Shiraz division.
“In general the top wines were extremely difficult to rank apart, showing the broad depth of the top wines entered,” Roediger said.
According to Edmund Terblanche, chairperson of the Shiraz Association of South Africa, it was significant that this year’s top achievers represented a variety of wine-producing regions and styles.
He said that although the association felt that the growth of the Shiraz blends category had not yet reached its summit, it was exciting to see how winemakers were experimenting with cultivars other than the traditional Rhône varieties.
Shiraz top 12 for 2016:
- Alto Shiraz 2013
- Babylonstoren Shiraz 2014
- Cederberg Shiraz 2014
- De Morgenzon Reserve Syrah 2014
- Eagles’ Nest Shiraz 2013
- Fairview Eenzaamheid Shiraz 2013
- KWV The Mentors Shiraz 2013
- KWV Laborie Limited Collection Shiraz 2014
- Rickety Bridge Shiraz 2013
- Saronsberg Shiraz 2014
- Strandveld Syrah 2012
- Windmeul Shiraz Reserve 2013
Top 3 Shiraz blends for 2016
- Alvi’s Drift Albertus Viljoen Limited Release Red Blend 2012
- Eikendal Charisma 2013
- Middelvlei Momberg 2013