A visitor to the expo was in a toilet stall with his two sons when one of the boys was injured by an accidental discharge of the father’s handgun.
Paramedics at HuntEx administered immediate emergency medical treatment and stabilised the child, who was then transferred to the nearest Midrand medical facility.
Adriaan Woudstra, the organiser of HuntEx, expressed his shock and said that there were strict firearm control measures in place at the expo. All firearm exhibitors had to comply with the requirements of Act 60 of 2000 that governed the control of firearms and were required to have current permits issued by the Central Firearm Registry (CFR) in their possession.
CFR representatives were at the expo to see that the conditions of the Act were adhered to and assisted the Midrand SAPS in investigating the incident.
The boy’s father said that his son was out of danger, but still in hospital.