- Advertisement -
- The season is about a month later than normal due to late rains.
- Cool conditions during December, becoming warmer after Christmas, meant root development was not as good as it should have been.
- Mealie yields expected to be lower than last season.
- ‘Average’ yields are generally expected.
- Due to the relatively poor root development, follow up rain is essential.
- Mealies are mostly in seed in the Highveld.
- Water stress is common (the amount of damage is currently unknown).
- Hailstorms in November affected the harvest in some areas.
- The foregoing factors aside, the current maize harvest looks promising.
- Soya bean crops do not look as good due to cold and wet conditions.
- Most summer crop yields look good here, partly due to regular follow-up rain.
- Most of the wheat has been negatively affected by the incessant rains, and lower grades are mostly being delivered. Yields/grades in the Reitz area were good, though.
- Rainfall was patchy, meaning agricultural conditions vary greatly here.
- Crops look good where rain recently occurred.
- Crops struggling in the Brandfort/Theunissen/Bloemfontein area.
- Severe drought conditions in the Hertzogville/Hoop City area during planting.
- Planting was late in some areas due to a lack of rain.
- It is estimated that only 85% of the region is already planted.
- Rain is urgently needed, as plants are at the stage where the yield potential is determined.
- Follow-up rain is really critical now. It can make or break a crop.
- Advertisement -
- Current agricultural conditions are believed to be better than a year ago.
- Dry conditions began to change when rain fell after the first week of December.
- Sub-surface moisture has still not recovered.
- Plants are small and stressed.
- Follow-up rain urgently needed.
- December rains also alleviated the situation here.
- Good rains in the Lichtenburg/Coligny/Koster area; growing conditions look promising.
- Less rain in the Delareyville/Vryburg area; dry conditions persist.
- Follow-up rain is critical across the region, as the sub-surface moisture has not been replenished.