This recipe for turkey legs is quicker to prepare, and more economical than cooking the whole fowl, but the result is equally delicious, and a good option if you don’t have fussy eaters (like my baby sister) who insist on breast meat only.
The duck-fat roasted potatoes are a fancy, recent addition introduced to us by my French brother-in-law, who married my older sister in 2018.
He also thinks he introduced us to the joy of fizzy wines, but we were in fact all partial to a glass or two of bubbly with our turkey long before he joined the family. – Denene Erasmus, FW Editor
You will need:
- 1 cup cake flour
- Salt, pepper and BBQ spice
- 1 packet streaky bacon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Place the vegetables and herbs in a roasting pan with a tightly fitting lid.
- Place the turkey legs and flour in a plastic bag and shake until they are covered in flour. Remove from the bag and shake off the excess flour. Season well with salt, pepper and BBQ spice.
- Arrange the legs on top of the vegetables in the pan. Cover with bacon strips and drizzle with olive oil. Cover and bake for two to two-and-a-half hours.
- Check during cooking and add a small amount of boiling water if the pan looks dry. The legs are ready when nicely brown and the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender.
Recipe for Duck-Fat Potatoes
- 8 medium potatoes
- 500g duck fat
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- Regular salt to add to water for boiling
- Coarse salt to season the potatoes
- Parboil the potatoes in salt water until almost done. Remove from the water, let cool slightly, and remove the skins.
- Place a roasting pan with the duck fat in the oven and heat to 180°C.
- Score the potatoes with a fork, place with rosemary in the heated duck fat and cook at 180° for ± 25 minutes, turning two to three times until crisp and golden.
- Remove the potatoes and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
*Serve with vegetable sides and salads of your choosing.