Theunissen’s mixed farms
Farming in the Theunissen district north-east of Bloemfontein in the Free State, mostly involves mixed production, with maize, potatoes and wheat the main crops. Afrikaners, Jerseys and Friesian cattle, and Merino sheep are the main livestock. The district is hilly and interspersed with fertile plains. From the Erfenis Dam in the Great Vet River, a system of canals carries water for irrigation to farms in the south-east area. When farms are on the market they generally sell for well above the provincial average. Two recent sales are listed below.
Highly productive Zuurveld
The Grahamstown district in the Eastern Cape forms part of the Albany division. Traditionally, it’s known as the Zuurveld and consists of two regions – the Fish River Valley in the north and a series of mountain ranges in the south. Grassveld covers most of the terrain, with scrub more prevalent in the north. Rain falls throughout the year at an average of about 700mm. The district is known for its production of pineapples, citrus fruit, chicory, sheep and cattle. Farms do not often change hands, partly due to the beautiful environment and the agricultural prosperity. When they do, the prices they command are mostly high, as indicated by the few recent sales listed below.
- Bezuidenhout’s Kraal (350ha) sold by Johannes Pieterse to Shelbell Trading for R2,75 million.
- Bronkhorstfontein and Farm 66 (totalling 1 683ha) sold by Coenraad du Preez to SCB Trust for R9,2 million.
- Paapkuilsfontein (287ha) sold by Christoffel Botha to Arthur James for R2,02 million.
- Hydrangea Estate (2ha portion) sold by Absa Bank to Lorraine Sanders for R300 000.
- Eastwick (60ha) sold by Stephanus Ferreira to Louis Copeman for R4,8 million.
- Farm 1350 (28ha) sold by Arthur Newcombe to Vermeulen Trust for R2,5 million.
- Farm 245 (182ha) sold by Frederick Nass to Leon Acton for R1,3 million.
- Farm 811 (13ha portion) sold by Sarah Pellow-Jarman to Breetzke Paxton Properties for R1,7 million, and a 14ha portion to Lawrence Gregory for R1,4 million.
- Farm 914 (13ha) sold by Little Swift Investments to Seven Seasons Trading for R1,4 million.
- Farm 200 (15ha) sold by Geoffrey Bickers to Babalwa Mhlathi for R1 million.
- Farm 1043 (35ha) sold by Buffalo Cartage CC to Gail Hand for R684 000.
- Olifantsvlei (3 703ha) sold by Hester van Wyk to Springbok-Oog Farming for R3,2 million.
- Jasperskop (10 090ha) sold by Hennie Snyman Trust to Project Multiply Ltd for R12,1 million.
- Zuurwater (5 620ha) sold by Carlo Schreuder to national government for R3,4 million.
- Hunboom (1 642ha) sold by Gert Visser to Blombos Trust for R1,64 million.
- Rondabel (1 220ha) sold by George Nieuwoudt to Drieklip Farming for R772 000.
- Driefontein (196ha) sold by Investalot CC to Marinjac Trust for R330 000.
- Harmonie (30ha) sold by Magdalena Thompson to Brian Sherriff for R510 000.
- Leeuwenboschfontein and Loopenderivier (totalling 1 188ha) sold by Jannie du Plessis Trust to Roux Trust for R4,3 million.
- Kleinberg (418ha) sold by Jakobus Burger to Bovensteland Trust for R1,5 million.
- Birdfield (4ha portion) sold by Achim Wagner to Franz Wagner for R475 000.
- Unnamed farm (51ha) sold by Bacchus Trust to Gert Tredoux for R1,2 million.
- Klipgat and Goeraap (totalling 3 118ha) sold by Estelle and Willem Smit to Stuurman Trust for R3,52 million.
- Goedehoop (17ha) sold by Charmaine Howes to Panden Ltd for R689 000.
- Zonquasdrif (32ha) sold by Michael Bartman to Louisa Karsten for R4,27 million.
- Tweefontein (50ha) sold by unnamed seller to Virtigo Properties for R1,5 million.
- Witteklip (35ha) sold by Robert Schaafsma to Dormehl Properties for R4,75 million.
- Groenerivier (18ha) sold by Man Control CC to Bernice Barnard for R2,4 million.
Ermelo – Bethal
- Klipfontein (1 538ha) sold by Gert Visagie Trust to Zeelie Brothers for R17,38 million.
- Syferfontein (256ha) sold by Syferfontein Farming to Damspruit Farming for R2,82 million.
- Boschmanspoort (86ha) sold by Jacobus de Bruyn to Pieter Taljaard for R980 000.
- Vaalpan (125ha) sold by Dries Cronjé Farming to Eskom Holdings for R2,6 million.
- Schaapkraal (213ha) sold by Charlize Venter to Mezelda Bekkersrust Trust for R2,2 million, and Naudésfontein (172ha) sold by Mezelda Bekkersrust to Petrus Petzer for R1,72 million.
- Klipplaatdrift (758ha) sold by Driehoek Farming to national government for R7,3 million.
- Blyderus (42ha) sold by Habbab Investments to BJ Vorster Ltd for R2,2 million.
- Luxemburg (9ha portion) sold by Andries Pitout to De Beer Transport for R950 000.
- Oxford (16ha) sold by Anton Engelbrecht to Lioncrest Lodge for R1,83 million.
- Grovedale (290ha) sold by Petrus Potgieter to Mystic Blue Trading for R16,5 million.
- Riversdale (11 324ha) sold by Trevor Castleman to Craig Soares for R357 000.
- Kruisfontein (186ha) sold by Corporate Timber Holdings to Madlangeni Community for R5,95 million.
- Zevenfontein (112ha) sold by Jan van Wyk to Lefokane Consulting for R880 000.
- Rietfontein (56ha) sold by Anthony Riley to William Language for R850 000.
- Weltevreden (7ha portion) sold by Caroline Casanova to Tebogo Matukane for R2,2 million.
- Potloodspruit (22ha portion) sold by Leon Grimbeek to Bartogystix for R2,2 million.
- Kolenbrander (62ha) sold by Philippus Welman to Golden Ribbon Trading for R950 000.
- Ligtfontein (123ha) sold by Cybele Forest Lodge to Manzimhlophe Community for R16,56 million.
Vrede – Warden
- Samsonsklip (49ha portion) sold by Konrad Herselman to JBL Trust for R2,45 million, and a 59ha portion sold by William Blignaut to Gerhard Botes for R1,2 million.
- Kuiltjespan (685ha) sold by Ockert Fourie to Faber Trust for R2,66 million.
- Oliefontein and Mooideel (totalling 181ha) sold by Schalk Scheepers to Kotzé Trust for R4,51 million.
- Weltevrede, Graspan and Vergenoeg (totalling 596ha) sold by André Loggenberg Trust to Hein Trust for R6 million.
Boshof – Dealesville
- Palmietkuil (404ha) sold by Hendrik Pieterse to Henleo Ltd for R9 million.
- Boschluisspruit (343ha) sold by Andrew du Plessis Trust to Dawie Pretorius Trust for R7,5 million.
- Vrederust (352ha) sold by Velda Steyn to FNM Trading for R3,85 million.
- Platberg (980ha) sold by FBPD Adventures to Socrasmart Ltd for R8,82 million.
- Kopfontein (6ha portion) sold by Basfour Ltd to Rietfontein Trust for R1,28 million.
- Anaria (325ha) sold by Rustplaas Farming to GMD Trust for R3,5 million.
- Traveller’s Rest (268ha) sold by Pieter Boneschans to Daniel Botha for R800 000.
- Stukkie (82ha) sold by Pieter Botha to Jacobus Botha for R684 000.
- Zwartfontein and Mooiklip (totalling 283ha) sold by Cornelius de Jager to Mooiklip Farming for R1,72 million.
- Cornelisrivier (460ha) sold by Sara Wessels to Schaapkraal Trust for R1,5 million.
- Valencia (669ha) sold by Frank Oberholzer to Purpleplum Properties for R6,39 million.
Dundee – Glencoe
- New Boschfontein (5ha portion) sold by Heather Behn to Anna Campbell for R3 million.
- Leliefontein (110ha) sold by Wingrove Trust to Green Queen CC for R2,3 million.
- Beaulieu (210ha) sold by Voitrade to Sendholm for R3 million.
- Dunbar Estate (22ha) sold by Peter Jarvis to Woodhead Trust for R529 000.
- Zypherfontein and Rongpoort (1 578ha) sold by Gongolo Wildlife Reserve to national government for R14,9 million.
- Mountaintop (145ha) sold by Overdale Trust to Izwelethu Community for R634 000.
- Struislaagte (222ha) sold by Irwing Ltd to Kanaan Marketing for R2,18 million.
- Luhungu (248ha) sold by Montrose Farming to Mabhelaselenga Community for R5,51 million.
Delareyville – Migdol
Vorstershoop – Toska
- Bieslaagte (514ha) sold by Carel Botha to Chris Botha Farming for R2,26 million.
- Vlakpan (226ha) sold by PWR Farming to Pieter du Toit for R2,5 million.
- Welverdiend (512ha) sold by Schalk le Roux to Johan le Roux for R5,12 million.
- Rietspruit (274ha) sold by Hugo Theron Trust to Forum Trading for R2,67 million.
- Wynberg (1 114ha) sold by Engela Grobbelaar to Robyn Trust for R2,78 million.
Louis Trichardt – Alldays
- Cullenfels (2 116ha) sold by Van Schalkwyk Farm to RJT Trading for R8,5 million.
- Riversdale (1 785ha) sold by Swart Trust to Gregaire Properties for R6,5 million.
- Vlakfontein (185ha portion) sold by Jan Botha Trust for R703 000, and a 186ha portion sold by Johannes Botha for R385 000, both to Pelgrimsrus Trust.
- Weilaagte (265ha) sold by Koos Uys & Son Farming to Tshedza Mining for R27,36 million.
- Vrisgewaag (18ha) sold by Susanna Bothma to Corsta Trust for R280 000.
- Hartebeesfontein (14ha portion) sold by Petronella Evans to Tiskin & Evans Trust for R375 000.
- Kaalfontein (45ha portion) sold by Hendrik van der Merwe to Belinda Bosman for R500 000, and a 22ha portion to Stephanus Bosman for R500 000.
- Wilgespruit (21ha) sold by Park Road Trading to Redefine Ltd for R65 million.
- Blaauwbank (9ha plot) sold by Nicolaas Sadie to Casparus Schoeman for R910 000.
- Rietfontein (101ha) sold by Desert Sand Properties to El-Shaddai Farming for R2,34 million.
Tags: limpopo, eastern cape, kzn, free state, western cape, mpumalanga, north west, gauteng, northern cape
- Brakfontein (17ha) sold by Old Mutual to unnamed buyer for R47,88 million.
- Baynespoort (5ha portion) sold by Maria Hendrikz to Nedbank for R520 000.
- Buffelsdrift (4ha portion) sold by Buffelsdrift Trust to Jaqueline de Kramer for R300 000.
- Elandshoek (9ha plot) sold by Paul Harrison to William Morton for R1 million.
- Firolaz (22ha) sold by Marco Morrison to Stephina Shokane for R1 million.
- Donkerhoek (18ha) sold by Ann Knoetze to Nedbank for R780 000.
- Kleinfontein (15ha) sold by Hester Viljoen to Maria Viljoen Trust for R1,5 million.
- Jakkalsfontein (22ha) sold by Jacobus Pretorius to Fourie Trust for R960 000.