Theunissen’s mixed farms
Farming in the Theunissen district north-east of Bloemfontein in the Free State, mostly involves mixed production, with maize, potatoes and wheat the main crops. Afrikaners, Jerseys and Friesian cattle, and Merino sheep are the main livestock. The district is hilly and interspersed with fertile plains. From the Erfenis Dam in the Great Vet River, a system of canals carries water for irrigation to farms in the south-east area. When farms are on the market they generally sell for well above the provincial average. Two recent sales are listed below.
Mbombela at a glance
The Mbombela district in Mpumalanga is the second-largest producer of citrus fruit in South Africa. The farms are generally limited in extent, and most are intensively cultivated. There are also several large estates producing great volumes of
sub-tropical fruit, while vegetables are grown in bulk on many of the smaller properties and plots. As can be seen, high prices are paid for productive farmland in the district, which is generally hilly, with most of it lying at altitudes of 760m to 1 700m.
Carolina – Lothair
- Bloemfontein (312ha) sold by Goldenbay Properties to Shonayawo Community for R2 million.
- Geluk (340ha) sold by Inge-Marie Pretorius to Jackal Berry Trust for R750 000.
- Rietfontein (255ha) sold by Rubin Essakow to Lisinfo Investments for R3,25 million.
- Zevenfontein (112ha) sold by Jacobus Smit to Cyril Hefer for R105 000.
- Goedewater (52ha) sold by Guy Drake to Gieliam de Beer for R1,6 million.
- Paardeplaats (135ha) sold by Jacobus Erasmus to Mlangeni Trust for R1,5 million.
- Kruisfontein (222ha) sold by Carolina Williers to Moopong Resources for R1,8 million.
- Schagen (155ha) sold by Sarel Barnard to Luan Trust for R2,5 million.
- Geluk (575ha) sold by Centuria Ltd to Geluk community for R6,33 million.
Ermelo – Bethal
- Van Oudtshoornstroom (3ha portion) sold by Frank Pascoe to FTX Investments for R1,5 million.
- Tafelkop (670ha) sold by Elizabeth Steyn to Myburgh Trust for R7,86 million.
- Unnamed farm (743ha portion) sold by Golden Hooves Farms for R10,08 million, plus a 473ha portion sold by Vexma Properties for R4,42 million, both to Ntozimandla community.
- Brakfontein portion and Hamelfontein (totalling 534ha) sold by Prognatus CC to Johannes Bodenstein for R5 million.
Hopetown – Strydenburg
- Taaiboschfontein (1 918ha) sold by Larandre Game Ranch to Almar Farming for R12,8 million.
- Driekoppen and Gannavlakte (totalling 2 116ha) sold by Elizabeth Botha to Alfred Kluge for R2,8 million.
- Kareedam (1 720ha) sold by Catharina Maré to Hendrik Murray for R2,3 million.
- Rietvley (2 622ha) sold by Johan Klinck to Gaseemelwe community for R14,46 million.
- Moose Valley (326ha) sold by Moose Valley Farms to Andrew Yates for R360 000.
- Rietfontein (1 492ha) sold by Willie van Zyl Trust to Graaff Fruit Ltd for R125 000.
- Holvlei (6ha portion) sold by Mark Delagey to Delagey Trust for R580 000.
- Farm 865 (18ha) sold by Sadie Trust to Babylons Toren Trust for R1,2 million.
- Hoogekraal (16ha) sold by Van Loggerenberg Trust to Pierre du Toit for R2 million.
- Modderrivier (9ha plot) sold by WBL Trust to Meiring Properties for R2,7 million.
- Farm 60 (150ha) sold by Abraham Marais to Sean Swarts for R1,25 million.
- Quaside (394ha) sold by Elizabeth Blom to Uitkoms Trust for R1,5 million.
- Farm 1337 (133ha) sold by Vuyisili Makasi to Newinvest Ltd for R1,7 million.
- Farm 723 (2ha portion) sold by Bunker Hills Investments to Henry Daniel for R500 000.
- Farm 340 (17ha) sold by Daniel Dakana to Fritzdin CC for R423 000.
- Farm 821 (5ha portion) sold by Helius Properties to Bravopix CC for R2,7 million. Farm 922 (2ha portion) sold by Toni Qinisile to Buffalo City Council for R450 000.
- Four farms including Yendalla (totalling 1 338ha) sold by Eric Yendall Trust to national government for R8,1 million.
- Brandleegte (652ha) sold by Christopher Thomas to CSA Properties for R4 million.
King William’s Town
- Chelsey (2ha portion) sold by Wendy Badier to Reyaaz Trust for R337 000.
- Farm 1828 (378ha) sold by Ranger Bros CC to Nkuku Properties for R2 million.
Ladysmith – Colenso
- Woodlands and Brakfontein (totalling 15ha) sold by Style Star Properties to Senzo’khule community for R7,66 million.
Port Shepstone –Ixopo
- Witklip (256ha) sold by Louis Klingenberg to Landolf Klingenberg for R2,3 million.
- Potgietershoop (38ha) sold by Andries Labuschagne to national government for R2,4 million.
- Umlazi (4ha portion) sold by Nedbank to Arabelia Investments for R27 million; and a 182ha portion sold by Umgeni Water to Zwelibomvu community for R14,36 million.
- Marburg Settlement (7ha portion) sold by Hepburn Trust to Basday Property Group for R9,75 million.
- Arlington (7ha portion) sold by Eljo Trust to Ecotone Ltd for R900 000.
- Excelsior and Marikwa (totalling 525ha) sold by Louw Wessels Trust to Rietgat Trust for R800 000.
- Merino (398ha) sold by Jacobus van Tonder to Vonraendt Trust for R1,41 million.
- Drievontein (1 538ha) sold by Lyon and Ilse Olivier to Excelsior Estate for R10 million.
- Boschplaat (22ha) sold by Maria Koen to Bastian Geyser for R750 000.
- Hartebeestfontein (5ha portion) sold by Petrus van der Heever to Matthys Botes for R1,2 million.
- Dealesgift (5ha portion) sold by Gert van Rooyen to Olive’s Trust for R1,26 million.
- Helpmekaar (16ha) sold by Amanda Meintjies to Aldrie Trust for R1,11 million.
- Zaaibult (286ha) sold by Matthys Grobler to Alcama Trust for R2,08 million.
- Unnamed farm (340ha) sold by Jacques Reynders Trust to Klipheuwel Trust for R700 000.
- Middelfontein (171ha) sold by Naletjha Trust to Kgolokwane Trust for R3,43 million.
- Leeuwpan and portion of Rietkuil (totalling 843ha) sold by Salt Holdings to Evander Gold Mines for R72 000.
- Witklipbank (168ha) sold by Pieter Jacobs to national government for R23,5 million.
- Rietkol (9ha) sold by Adri Meyer to Johannes Madonsela for R600 000.
- Knopjeslaagte (9ha plot) sold by Knoppies Cottages to Galencia Agriculture for R3,3 million.
- Uitval (796ha) sold by Banga-Bukhani CC to Tedo Investments for R7 million.
- Langkuil (22ha) sold by Adriaan Marais to Britz Trust for R95 000.
- Witpoort (9ha plot) sold by Derek Noyes-Smith to Rachel Slack for R9 million.
- Klipeiland (9ha plot) sold by Carolyne Ferreira to SVK Holdings for R3,8 million.
- Tiegerpoort (15ha portion) sold by Elizabeth Ballot to Rudolph Britz for R1,25 million.
- Elandsvalley (104ha) sold by Athol McOnie to Deon Groenewald Trust for R4 million.
- Bultfontein (9ha plot) sold by Jobani Trust to Barend Botha for R680 000.
- Kaalplaats (10ha) sold by Werlaine Trust to Robert Taylor for R3,5 million.
- McKay (10ha) sold by Etienne Bester to Nicolaas du Plessis for R3,58 million.
- Prinsloo’s Rust (286ha) sold by Mazhan Trust to Van der Leeuw Trust for R2,96 million.
- Rysmierbult (64ha) sold by HT Trading to John Muller for R600 000.
- Streepje (17ha) sold by Hermanus Lombard to Louis Pienaar for R1,6 million.
- Zoetfontein (1 032ha) sold by Mareseke Farming to Tswalanang Trading for R5,16 million.
- Vlakfontein (73ha) sold by Bernardus Williams to Martha Meyer for R960 000.
- Cyferfontein (43ha) sold by Manuel Herbst to Refiloe Mabina for R1,55 million.
- Droogekloof (22ha) sold by Hanilie O’Neil to Hendrik van Eeden for R1,6 million.
- Noodhulp (9ha plot) sold by Zelpy Ltd to Chele Machaba for R495 000.
- Rhenosterpoort (445ha) sold by Matswane Lodge to Swim-Along Trading for R3,9 million.
- Vlakfontein (260ha) sold by Max Investments to Desilets Investments for R3,6 million.
- Kromellenboog (472ha) sold by Silent Valley Management to Orchid Trust for R2,17 million, plus a 470ha portion to Zingaro Trade for R1,9 million.
- Kromdraai (17ha portion) sold by Elben Trust to Riaan de Leeuw for R980 000; plus 10ha portion sold by Douw Booyse to Thomas van der Merwe for R750 000; and 9ha portion sold by Arthur Botma to Gerhardus van Vuuren for R750 000.
- Modderpan and Uitvlugt (totalling 498ha) sold by Jaco Pretorius Trust to Bosveld Oase for R3,22 million.
- Witklip (468ha) sold by Johannes Ras to Centaury Investments for R2,71 million.
- Blinkwater (516ha) sold by Blinkwater Trust to Jannie Els Trust for R4,6 million.
- Elma (1 265ha) sold by Silver Knight Properties to Massouwskop Ranch for R6,96 million.
- Bernaauw (29ha) sold by Christo Rose Trust to Baloka Trust for R700 000.
- Reitzdale (1 285ha) sold by Gerhard Taljaard to Africa Serapa Safaris for R6,42 million.
- Stroebel’s Rust (86ha) sold by Ernest Nieuwoudt to Sybrand Stander for R394 000.
Rustenburg – Brits
- Doornbult (96ha) sold by Gerhard Locherenberg to Daniel van Niekerk for R1 million.
- Boachpoort (254ha) sold by Pieter van der Merwe to Jacobus van der Merwe for R1,5 million.
- Leeuwfonten (112ha) sold by Jan Brak to Prigge Trust for R750 000.
- Palmietfontein (5ha portion) sold by Ferreira Trust to Retsman Services for R847 000.
- Kromdraai (476ha) sold by Carlette Trust to Chiboo Farming for R7 million.
Tags: limpopo, eastern cape, kzn, free state, western cape, mpumalanga, north west, gauteng, northern cape
- Zuurplaat (9ha plot) sold by Jaco Dorfling to Teresa Dorfling for R1,45 million.
- Buffelspoort (29ha) sold by Thomas le Roux to Christo Gous for R800 000.
- Hartebeestpoort (27ha portion) sold by Jan Pretorius to Lampertshof Ltd for R1,2 million; and a 137ha portion sold by George Lombard Associates to Arotin Game Lodge for R4,4 million; plus a 25ha portion sold by Marcelle Properties to Solander Investments for R2,8 million.
- Vaalkop (93ha) sold by Laughing Waters Trust to Grobler Construction for R1,3 million.
- Onverwacht (5ha portion) sold by Gareth Dry to Jim Anderson for R1,1 million; and a 6ha portion sold by Charles Stone to Mpapa Maduna for R1,6 million.Rietfontein (8ha portion) sold by Starcrow CC to Johan Engelbrecht for R3 million.