Theunissen’s mixed farms
Farming in the Theunissen district north-east of Bloemfontein in the Free State, mostly involves mixed production, with maize, potatoes and wheat the main crops. Afrikaners, Jerseys and Friesian cattle, and Merino sheep are the main livestock. The district is hilly and interspersed with fertile plains. From the Erfenis Dam in the Great Vet River, a system of canals carries water for irrigation to farms in the south-east area. When farms are on the market they generally sell for well above the provincial average. Two recent sales are listed below.
A major maize-growing district
Reitz is part of the Nketoana Local Municipality in the eastern Free State. The main crops grown in the district are maize and wheat, with cattle farming also popular. The town that gives the district its name was initially known as Singer’s Post, then Amsterdam, before being named Reitz. It boasts one of the biggest maize silos in the southern hemisphere and is home to reputedly the largest farmers’ co-operative in South Africa.
- Polka (288ha) sold by Pieter Eksteen to Lood Stadler Trust for R3,28 million.
- Five farms including Tweefontein (totalling 605ha) sold by Golden Falls Trading to Tweespruit Farming for R6,18 million.
- Welverdiend (266ha) sold by Petrus Nel Farming to Hanli Claasen Trust for R2,28 million.
- Four farms including Zwartfontein (totalling 1 093ha) sold by Pieter Naudé Trust to Billa Trust for R11 million.
- Zambomfontein (208ha) sold by Jana Claasen Trust to Swabmed Trust for R1,67 million.
- Omdraai (171ha) sold by Anetta du Toit to Anna Raath for R1 million.
- Fairview and Mayfair (totalling 514ha) sold by Petrus von Maltitz to Hennie Vermooten Trust for R5 million.
- Rustlers Valley (273ha) sold by Rustlers Valley Farm to Earthrise Trust for R1,25 million.
- Nebo (478ha) sold by Nebo Corporation to Nebo Estate for R3,5 million.
- Grootdraai (3ha portion) sold by Izak Cilliers to Daryl van Niekerk for R1,05 million.
- Susan’s Home and Roetzrust (totalling 226ha) sold by Jacobus Joubert Trust to Turffontein Trust for R940 000.
Ermelo – Bethal
- Dwars-in-de-Weg (257ha) sold by Adriaan Fischer to Wouter Theron for R3,2 million.
- De Wittekrans (428ha) sold by Wynand Pietersen to Andries Maree for R11 million.
- Wildebeestfontein (79ha) sold by COR Konstruksie to Branko Mladina for R4 million.
- Naudésbank (665ha) sold by Willem Pretorius to DV Trust for R19,9 million. Spionkop (529ha) sold by KED Farming to Vatocare Ltd for R5,25 million.
- Uitgedacht (108ha) sold by Balthazer Grobler to Zelpy Ltd for R2,6 million.
- Frischgewaagd (17ha) sold by South Witbank Coal Mines to Xstrata SA for R2 milliom.
- Uitkyk (824ha) sold by Du Toit Kempton Park to Mylpaal Investments for R12 million.
- Op Goeden Hoop (1 265ha) sold by Op Goeden Hoop Trust to Muhanga Mines for R46,17 million.
- Rietfontein (400ha) sold by Egbert Hiemstra to Thabang Bricks for R4,2 million.
- Rome (20ha) sold by Reginald Prosch to Parchi African Properties for R2,34 million.
- Driehoek (2ha portion) sold by Ian Moss to Karel van Wyk for R725 000.
- Lekkergoed (702ha) sold by Limpopo Leopard Reserve to Leopard Owners for R100.
- Klipfontein (2ha portion) sold by Michael Rahner Trust to Cloversgreen Investments for R14 million.
- Rietfontein (2ha portion) sold by Jan Brits to Sorella Country Lodge for R1,1 million and a 2ha portion to Fratello Country Lodge for R1,1 million.
- Boschhoek (9ha plot) sold by Ixia Trading to Ryandar Farming for R1,85 million.
- Kaalplaats (9ha plot) sold by Vaal Fluvia Ltd to Hamiltons Estate for R2,9 million.
- Oudedorp (10ha portion) sold by Gibbens Trust to Anyacap Ltd
- for R500 000.
Tags: limpopo, eastern cape, kzn, free state, western cape, mpumalanga, north west, gauteng, northern cape
- Knopjeslaagte (9ha plot) sold by Lawpam Investments to Magapa Trust for R3,7 million.
- Nooitgedacht (462ha) sold by Erich van Niekerk to Van Rensburg Farming for R9,25 million.
- Onverwacht (65ha) sold by Smith Estate to Upington Trust for R455 000.
- Tyrone and Conway (totalling 588ha) sold by Jurrieen Dykema to Johan Dykema Properties for R10,57 million.
- Mooiplaats (9ha plot) sold by Zwart Investments to Charlco Investments for R3,7 million.
- Kameeldrift (2ha portion) sold by Jacomina Booysen to Natascha Prinsloo for R1,2 million.
- Downbern (11ha) sold by Nielen Burger to André van der Merwe for R1,1 million.
- Roodekrans (22ha) sold by Noop-One Ltd to Stefanie Dohner for R550 000.
- Hekpoort (22ha portion) sold by Acacia von Mayer to Helena Cronjé for R760 000.
- Zwartkop (11ha portion) sold by Nomatex to Lubvest Consultants for R2,5 million.
- Shylock (770ha) sold by Zelpy Ltd to Lambertus Ras for R12 million.